Full Stack Developer - Ruby on Rails, Hotwire, Shape Up
Context is an international travel company, founded in 2003, that champions the transformative power of learning — whether on the ground or online.
For 20 years, Context exclusively ran scholar-led tours in over 60 cities around the globe, led by MA- and Ph.D.-level experts that could go beneath the surface, diving deep into art, history, and culture. In March 2020, in response to the pandemic, we launched a digital product, Context Learning, to bring our trademark, expert-guided experiences to online audiences all over the globe. The depth of engagement with our services is truly remarkable. For instance, we have customers who span multiple generations, illustrating the enduring appeal of our tours. It all began when grandparents introduced our tours to their teenage children two decades ago. Those teenagers have now become parents, and they, in turn, are now introducing their own children, creating a beautiful legacy of multi-generational experiences with Context tours.
Led by an all-star leadership team with venture-capital backing, Context is now rebuilding its traditional on-the-ground tours business, while simultaneously scaling its virtual learning business. We believe we are positioned to offer a product that is unlike any other in the market — real life experiences complemented by online education, blended into one comprehensive learning experience.
- You are a positive, thoughtful, compassionate person, and also a good writer (or on the way to becoming one).
- You are a self-manager. Project definitions (but not detailed tickets) would be shaped primarily by our product managers. However, as a senior engineer, you would be the one in charge of figuring out what's needed to get the project done.
- You care about the outcome of our work. Some people call this trait product-minded. Our work is not “done” until we witness the outcome.
- You have contributed to pre-technical assessments on project ideas before projects start, so product managers can make sound trade-off calls, and appropriately scope projects.
- You have built and maintained one or more production web applications built on Ruby on Rails.
- You have scaled web applications and maintained high up-time.
- You have a solid understanding of OOP principles.
- You practice TDD.
- You have a solid understanding of the spectrum of technical underpinnings of web applications, including database management systems.
- You are familiar with Git and GitHub flow.
- You have built CI or CD pipelines.
- We are a remote-first company. Currently, we would like to have 4-hour overlaps between your work hours and east coast work hours.
- You have built or played with Hotwire-based web applications.
- You have contributed to OSS projects.
- You have practiced or are open to pair-programming.
- You are familiar with Shape-Up product development methodology.
P.S. We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds. At Context, we are ultimately building a global community of mutual understanding and respect. Therefore, diversity matters.
P.P.S. Unfortunately, we are not able to sponsor VISAs at this time