UX Designer / Senior UX Designer
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Context is an international travel company, founded in 2003, that champions the transformative power of learning — whether on the ground or online.
For 18 years, Context exclusively ran scholar-led tours in over 60 cities around the globe, led by MA- and Ph.D.-level experts that could go beneath the surface, diving deep into art, history, and culture. In March 2020, in response to the pandemic, we launched a digital product, Context Learning, to bring our trademark, expert-guided experiences to online audiences all over the globe.
Led by an all-star leadership team with venture-capital backing, Context is now rebuilding its traditional on-the-ground tours business, while simultaneously scaling its virtual learning business. We believe we are positioned to offer a product that is unlike any other in the market — real life experiences complemented by online education, blended into one comprehensive learning experience.
We are looking for a UX Designer or a Senior UX Designer. This is a hybrid role - you would get to do both UX/UI designs as well as interface implementations. Unlike many organizations, at Context, we believe that we would be able to build better products if one person would do both designs and implementations from start to finish. We all know the devil lives in the details - visually perfect mocks don’t necessarily guarantee we could achieve the user’s goals with the design. Those who do the implementation can design outstanding UIs.
If you are curious, we use a combination of Ruby on Rails as a full stack framework, StimulusJS for UI sprinkles, and Hotwire (Turbo Drive/Frames/Streams) for development productivity and UI responsiveness. 99% of HTMLs are rendered on the server side (this means we don’t use ReactJS).
- You are a positive, thoughtful, compassionate person, and also a good writer (or on the way to becoming one).
- You are a self-manager. Project definitions (but not detailed tickets) would be shaped primarily by our product managers. They would outline the business and user goals, what needs to be obvious for users to do, easy to do, and possible to do. With that information, you would be the one in charge of figuring out what's needed to achieve those goals.
- You care about the outcome of our work. Our work is not “done” until we witness the outcome.
- You have designed, and built UIs of one or more production web applications.
- You have contributed to pre-UI/UX/technical assessments on project ideas before projects start, so product managers can make sound trade-off calls, and appropriately scope projects.
- You have a good understanding of the spectrum of technical underpinnings of web applications, including database management systems.
- You are familiar with Git and GitHub flow.
- We are a remote-first company. Currently, we would like to have 4-hour overlaps between your work hours and east coast work hours.
- You have experience with Ruby on Rails full-stack web applications.
- You have built or played with Hotwire-based web applications.
- You have practiced or are open to pair-programming.
- You have contributed to creating design systems.
P.S. We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds. At Context, we are ultimately building a global community of mutual understanding and respect. Therefore, diversity matters.
P.P.S. Unfortunately, we are not able to sponsor work visas at this time.